What does life look like post graduation from graduate school? I am about to find out!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

40 Days and 40 Nights!!

Well, friends, the season of Lent has been upon us for a week now which means it is time for that season of devotion and remembering the sacrifices that Jesus made for us. I have started participating in a Lenten book study at church and have really been getting a lot out of it so far. The book is 40 Day Journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer and it has proved to be an interesting experience. The book requires prayer, meditation and journaling every day in Lent and I have so far been diligently doing my devotional every day right when I wake up. I am so far getting a lot out of it and if you have been reading my Facebook, you may have noticed that I have been occasionally posting Bible passages on there that come from that day's reading. I was unfamiliar with Bonhoeffer prior to starting this study and I am so far finding him to be an engaging and unique theologian. So far, it has proved to be a positive experience and I am just proud that I have been able to keep at it every day as that is something that I struggle with. I am really bad at that kind of stuff but I was determined to make it part of my Lenten journey this year and so far, it is working out wonderfully. I've even been waking up earlier to do my devotionals so that I will still have time to get ready for work and while I am by no means a morning person, I have found that starting out my day with devotional has proven to be a great way to start my day.
I've also been dedicating more time to writing than usual. By that, I mean that I have been spending 45 minutes a day working on my long-gestating screenplay. It's been in my head since I was a senior in high school and now nine years later, I decided this was as good a time as any to start putting it down on paper. It's been tough but I have found that the creative process is where I truly thrive and maybe by the end of Lent, I will have a finished screenplay!! As I have been devoting more time to writing, that means that I have been devoting less time to my TV and movie obsession. I know, shocker, right??!! I've been mostly watching TV on Sundays after I get home from church and last night was the first night I had watched a movie in over two weeks. I'm trying to make other things a priority such as time with God, time with friends and time with myself. TV and movies kinda fall by the wayside when you re-shift your priorities. I haven't officially given them up for Lent just decided to make other things a priority this time. I did give up using my debit card so for the season of Lent, I am cash only. So far, it's worked out pretty well and it is helping me sort out the difference between needs and wants. I don't need to order McDonald's on the way to work. I might want to because it is so convenient and easy but I don't need it. It is a want, not a need. I'm hoping to make this a permanent change if it goes well during Lent. I will keep you posted on that development. That's all I have to report on this front. What is everyone else doing for Lent? Let me know. I would love to hear how people are choosing to spend this holy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers