What does life look like post graduation from graduate school? I am about to find out!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Last Few Days (which includes the Kidnapping)!!

Sorry I've been so bad about updating the last few days. I guess I've been on information overload or something. It's been a really good few days actually. We've been visiting everyone's site placements and that has gone well. Everybody has really good site placements which should make it an exciting year. We've also been meeting and discussing our covenant agreement which we did at the Lincoln Park Zoo which is amazing and located near the river with a fantastic view of downtown. That's gone well and so far hasn't caused any serious problems. Thursday night, we ended up at a free jazz concert in Millennium Park. The weather was gorgeous, the music was great and the company was fantastic so all in all, it made for a great night. There is so much to see and do in this city that it is quite overwhelming for me. Living in a big city is a lot different but so far I am handling it well, I think.
Saturday morning was the day that we had been warned about all week. Some of us were even really looking forward to it. In order to prove that we had mastered Chicago and could read a map successfully, our site coordinator kidnapped and blindfolded us and then dropped each of us off in a different random location in Chicago and then we had to find our way back to the house. It proved to be more of a challenge than I thought it would be but I eventually made it back to the house. It took way longer than I thought it would but at least I made it back. I consider it a personal victory although I definitely do not know the city that well yet. Oh well, I do have an entire year to learn it, right??!!
One of the things we discussed in our covenant is the concept that each one of us will have to cook for the rest of the house one night a week. This means yours truly will be learning how to cook. I know, you should be praying for my housemates right now!! No, seriously, I am actually kinda excited about it as learning how to cook is an important life skill and a big part of the growing up and becoming independent process. I've already got my first meal planned but if people would like to send me recipes, I would willingly and gladly accept them. Please make them vegetarian-friendly and no seafood. Would love to see what ideas people send me. Anyway, that's all I have to report on for right now. We have to be up early tomorrow for "Hospitality Day" which I will blog about in a later post. We start working at our site placements on Tuesday so I should have more to report on that as well. Hope you are enjoying reading this as much as I am enjoying writing them. Remember, God loves you (as do I)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers