What does life look like post graduation from graduate school? I am about to find out!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welcome to the Windy City, y'all!!

So, we arrived in Chicago on Monday afternoon. The past two days have been spent visiting each other's site placements and getting to know each other, our house and our new city. Today, we were sent out on a scavenger hunt armed only with addresses and a map of the city and a map of the L train line. We were paired off in teams of two so it kinda felt like the Amazing Race to me. My team got to explore Millennium Park and Steppenwolf Theatre Company plus had a stop at one of the local libraries to get a library card. Yes, now my bookworm addiction can continue in a new place!! We had dinner tonight at a pizza place so I have now experienced Chicago deep-dish pizza and it is every bit as amazing as I had heard. Yesterday was spent grocery shopping using the money we receive for groceries. We get $550 a month for groceries and toiletries which with six people you would think wouldn't stretch that far but we spent way under budget this first trip which is hopefully a good sign. I read somewhere that the best way to shop on a budget is to grocery shop once a week for the entire week and make a list before you go to the store. We're trying to follow that model and so far it seems to have worked pretty well for us.
Our house is really nice actually. It's two stories with five bedrooms, two living/dining rooms, two bathrooms, two kitchens but no air conditioning. We have fans in every bedroom, though, so it really isn't that bad. My bedroom has no closet space or bookshelves but it's on the first floor and I have a great view which is important to me. Plus, I don't have to share a room and that is a major plus for me. I'm not opposed to sharing a room but I had some bad experiences with it in college so I am very wary about the idea. We will re-evaluate living situations again in six months and switch as needed. I'd like to have a room with some closets but then I might have to have a roommate which wouldn't be the end of the world. It's simply a trade-off. We'll see how things go. There's six of us living here but there is more than enough space for us and our stuff. I'll talk more about my roommates in a later post but so far they are really cool. I think this is going to work out just fine. I already really like this city and now I know that I made the right decision. I have, so far, zero regrets about deciding to leave my comfort zone behind and find myself adjusting nicely to living in a big city.
Also, wanted to go ahead and give you guys my address in case you wanted to send me mail, care packages, birthday cards (six weeks, hint hint!!) etc. It is:
423 S. Central Park
Chicago, IL 60624
Large packages should be sent to:
425 S. Central Park
Chicago, IL 60624
There ya go. Now, you have no excuses not to send me stuff!! I always appreciate hearing from my friends and supporters. This journey would have not been possible had it not been for the support of my friends and family. I could have never made this journey if I had not had people in my corner telling me it was the right move for me. Thanks so much for all that!! This was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make but so far, I have realized that this is where God wants me to be. BTW, anybody who sends me care packages that contain Oreos or Twinkies will become my new best friend!! We are trying not to spend money on processed foods out here as they cost more so I am dying for some Oreos!!
Well, tomorrow we are visiting my site placement so I will finally be able to give everybody an idea of what I will be doing and where I will be working. It will be good to finally have an answer to that question as that seems to be the one I have gotten the most of this summer!! We are going mini-golfing after that so I should get to bed so I can be fully prepped for tomorrow. Goodnight all and remember, Jesus loves you (as do I)!!

2 comments:

  1. Googled where you are - you're not too far by train from Michigan Ave., then? Told ya re: real Chicago pizza - beats NY hands down anytime!!! What restaurant did you go to? Glad you got to see Millennium Park...and yes it is true that if you make a list and stick to it, you will not spend as much in the long run. The key is to not peruse the store, just stick to the list (difficult, I know)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tad!! So glad that you made it safely there--love your amazing race experience, as you know I´m a big fan!
    Peace on the journey, hermano.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Followers